Built for Manufacturing
Built for Hard Work & High Volume
LitePoint’s IQ family of manufacturing test systems are purpose-built for testing wireless devices in rough factory production environments.
You need a solution you can trust to reliably deliver valid, consistent test results, especially in peak periods. From rugged, battle-proven hardware, to software with easy-to-read results display and logging, LitePoint IQ systems are designed with high-volume production in mind.
- Simple to deploy. Easy to rack or stack. Direct cable connections from tester to fixture. Automatic configuration. Simple fixture calibration.
- Easy to use. LitePoint’s purpose-built test systems are intuitive to control, even for new operators. Software utilizes an intuitive graphical user interface that provides results in a straightforward, visual format.
- Durable workhorse. LitePoint manufacturing test systems are rugged and battle-proven for the manufacturing floor. No failure-prone screens, no delicate button or knobs, no overheating issues, no complex external interconnect between cards. LitePoint’s drop-tested, sturdy construction is able withstand all-day, everyday operation and keep production flowing.
- Compact multi-tasker. Single-box solutions require minimal factory floor space and can concurrently test multiple standards with a single insertion.
5 Must-Have Features of Test Systems that Survive the Factory Floor
- Rapid set-up. The easier your test system is to set up or reconfigure, the faster you’ll be in volume production. Look for simple point-to-point connections between the tester and DUT. You want hardware that’s optimized for the technology being tested, backed by operating software that’s easy to install and intuitive to use.
- Speed in the DNA. Systems designed for the lab aren’t necessarily optimized for speed. Factory-smart testers, on the other hand, are specifically engineered to maximize throughput. Look for innovative architectures that optimize the processing of test data, as well as integrated multi-DUT systems that let you test several devices in parallel.
- Ease of use. There’s a steady flow of new operators coming into the factory. Test systems need to be extremely easy to use, so you can train operators in a matter of minutes, not hours. Rugged design combined with a purpose-built operator interface reduces the chance that inexperienced operators will accidently damage or reconfigure something, taking the whole system down until the tech team can troubleshoot.
- Rugged design. Not all test systems are purpose-built for manufacturing. Look for simplicity. Complexity should be hidden on the inside. On the outside, you need robust, torque-tolerant Type N connectors and a simple operator interface—and nothing else. If you see knobs, buttons, delicate connectors or a dozen external inter-connections, you are certain to have reliability problems. And low reliability leads to downtime that you cannot afford.
- Repeatable results. Your goal is to touch devices once and be done. If retest rates are high, your units-per-hour production takes a tumble. Search for proven test systems that demonstrate consistent performance and high repeatability rates. Consistent, accurate results improve your throughput, not only saving time and money, but giving you confidence that you’re shipping high quality products.
Get production up and running in days, not months.
LitePoint delivers complete test solutions, not just boxes. Deep domain knowledge in wireless system implementation enables LitePoint to deliver truly intelligent test methodologies.
Decade-long relationships with leading chipset suppliers allow LitePoint to create and deliver chipset-optimized test software that makes LitePoint IQ hardware fast to deploy in the factory, fast to ramp up in volume, and then fly in production. This three-step process brings products to market fast—and with the highest quality of test.
- Hardware that is simple to install in the factory and requires minimal operator training.
- Domain-specific, chipset-optimized software solutions that maximize the throughput of LitePoint testers.
- A huge chipset library that allows you to reconfigure test stations in minutes for new products.
LitePoint is the reference test standard for all the top Wi-Fi chipset suppliers. By working closely with our chipset partners, LitePoint has chipset test solutions ready well ahead of their market introduction. See our complete list of supported chipsets (over 350 and counting!) New chipsets are being added continuously.
3 Time-Savers that Put Volume Production on the Fast Track
- Pre-validated test software. Designing and coding an optimized, reliable test flow takes time and costs money. As wireless technologies become more complex, creating your own test software becomes even more difficult. Eliminate the need. Choose a system optimized for the standards you’re testing and combined with proven, chipset-specific software—make development time as simple as point-and-click. And make sure the list of solutions runs deep, allowing you to address a high mix of chipset suppliers and models.
- Simple hardware set up. On the factory floor, you want test systems that are designed to do one thing: Reliably test wireless devices at the highest possible throughput. Time spent calibrating and troubleshooting is time not delivering your product. If you’re dealing with reconfiguration and calibration of delicate cards and complex interconnections, you don’t have a test system designed for manufacturing. For ease of setup, look for simple point-to-point connections between the tester and DUT and systems that are calibrated and tested as a system—not delivered as components where there is “some assembly required.”
- Stellar localized support. Even a small snag can cause a big slow-down. Does your test system provider have a local support team? You need expert service—from people that truly understand wireless test in a manufacturing environment. Seek out a partner who believes that if you have a problem, they do too.
Engineered for Highest Throughput—From the Inside Out
Cut total test times by 50% or more with optimized methods and parallel testing.
In the drive to minimize production cost—and maximize profits—you need test systems that simply work faster. Faster in terms of how they capture, process, and report results, and faster by doing more at once through parallelization of test.
Exclusive Packet Engine Technology Drives Throughput
LitePoint’s patented Packet Engine™ technology is the heart of our connectivity test solutions. Totally unique in the test industry, the Packet Engine enables test methodologies that are wireless standard specific, to extract the maximum throughput from the tester.
With powerful embedded data processing capabilities, LitePoint test systems analyze and log test results quickly, in the background, allowing the tester to run at maximum speed. With the use of the newest Intel processors and platforms, LitePoint systems can readily evolve with Moore’s law to provide lightening-fast results processing.
One System Tests Multiple Standards—Simultaneously
LitePoint’s single-box solutions enable the testing of multiple standards with a single insertion. Not sequentially, but concurrently. Concurrency alone cuts test times by more than 50%, and when you include time saved on additional device insertions and on multiple device reboots, you’re saving even more.
Multi-DUT Solutions Test Multiple Devices in Parallel
With LitePoint, test up to four devices (or even eight) in little more than the time it would take to test one. Rather than simply quadrupling hardware, LitePoint implements its hardware in ways that eliminate issues with crosstalk between channels, reduce power consumption, and optimize tester cost.
8 Good Reasons Throughput Should Be Your #1 Priority
- Meet demand. You need to reliably deliver while demand is high. Product lifecycles are short, so your demand windows are small. You may build 75% of a product’s lifetime demand within the first five months from production ramp. So, you have less time to produce more, with extremely high peaks in production output. Delay is not an option. You want to be sure you can manage steep production ramps and be ready to deliver within the first few months of new product introduction (and usually before).
- Improve your brand image. When you provide a consistent flow of reliable wireless products to the market, you build your brand equity. Choose a test solution that is validated by the leading chipset suppliers and delivers industry-leading speed, so your customers get the quality product they want. Quality of product and reliability in delivery are two factors that enhance your brand—and your profits.
- Be prepared for the future. In 2012, there were about 8 billion wireless devices in operation worldwide. By 2020, experts estimate there will be over 50 billion. You’re dealing with more devices and increasingly complex wireless technologies. And product lifecycles are getting even shorter—so your delivery window is small. Brace yourself by streamlining and optimizing your test processes now by using test solutions that are prepared for future wireless standards such as LTE-Advanced and the highest-bandwidth 802.11ac.
- Decrease operating expenses. The right test systems can save you big money on operational expenses. Single-box, fully-integrated, multi-tasking solutions save space on the factory floor and consume less power. User-friendly test systems reduce operator expenses. Purpose-built, rugged designs minimize maintenance costs. And high-throughput test systems get more done in less time, reducing operating expenses even further. And in the end, operating expense is your most important consideration.
- Increase revenue. With test systems that both optimize production throughput and speed your time to market, you’re ready for the current production run as well as the next one. Optimizing test processes now will prepare you for steeper production ramps, increased production throughput, and lead to increased revenue and profit.
- Absorb development delays. It happens all the time. Development takes longer than expected, and the product is late getting to you in manufacturing—but the launch-to-market date doesn’t change. Enhance your ability to compensate for lost time by making sure your test processes run like a well-oiled machine. The hours, minutes, and even seconds you save by streamlining throughput add up quickly, for you—and your customers.
- Improve operator efficiency. Test systems that optimize throughput by supporting concurrent and parallel testing let your operators produce more in less time. And test software that is easy to learn, provides results data that is readily understood and analyzed, and is scalable for higher throughput, providing the total solution you need to deploy. This powerful combination of total-system efficiency and ease-of-use makes even new operators masters of speed.
- Avoid costly downtime. Purpose-built testers increase reliability and decrease the rate of operator error that can lead to system downtime. Rugged design (including internal switching, durable N-type RF connectors, and efficient cooling systems), dramatically decreases downtime, simplifies line re-configuration, and minimizes your operational costs. Downtime is lost time, and every second counts on the factory floor.
The LitePoint Way: It’s all about Speed
Product life cycles are short. Delay is not an option.
Steep production ramps (each generating higher volume levels than the previous) and increasingly complex products are putting the pressure on manufacturing.
You need to reliably deliver while demand is high—typically the first few months after (and often before) new product introductions. How will you keep up? You could buy more test systems and hire more operators. Or, you can optimize your test operation to get more done with less.
- Speed time to market
- Manage more volume without sacrificing quality or test coverage
- Decrease operating costs
At LitePoint, our IQ family of manufacturing test solutions are designed for manufacturing and we remain dedicated to developing systems that save time at every step, from implementation to easy-to-read results.
8 Steps to Streamline the Total Test Deployment Process
- New device test development. How fast do you ramp up for a new wireless product with a new wireless chipset? You can certainly do the development yourself, but this may not get you there in the fastest way. Test systems with optimized test software and out-of-the-box support for a vast ecosystem of wireless chipsets cut your development time by eliminating the weeks—and sometimes months—spent on programming and QA. For maximum reliability and speed optimization, look for pre-validated solutions, built by the system supplier that knows everything about their testers and endorsed by the chipset manufacturers.
- Test system set-up. Not all test systems are designed for easy set up on the factory floor. Simplicity is the hallmark of a factory-suitable test system. Avoid card-based systems and exposed interconnects. These “do-it-yourself” systems aren’t calibrated as a system and can be prone to damage to the delicate interconnect between cards. Instead, look for fully contained systems, employing simple point-to-point connections between the tester and DUT. You shouldn’t need an architecture expert and a 500-page manual to get up and running.
- Operator training. Don’t underestimate the impact of efficient operator training. The faster you get new operators up to speed, the faster you get to maximum production volume. Training times vary greatly from test system to test system. Leave complexity in the lab and bring ease of use to the factory floor. Avoid an array of buttons and knobs or complicated, failure-prone screens. Choose factory-hardened systems with rugged connectors, efficient cooling, no external interconnect, and a simplified operator interface.
- Per-device test times. Faster test systems are engineered for speed from the inside out. On the inside, you want smart measurement techniques and speedy data processing rates. Look for systems that are truly optimized for the standards being tested, delivered by experts in the wireless test field. The fastest test systems are multi-DUT, capable of testing up to eight devices in parallel—so you maximize your throughput per square-meter of factory floor space. Higher throughput per tester minimizes your operational expense, but also lowers your capital expense, since you need fewer test stations.
- Per-standard test times. Multi-function wireless devices have multiple radios to test. Multiple insertions and repeated device resets take valuable time. Look for single-box test solutions that require one insertion for multiple standards. Speed test times even more with concurrent testing capabilities, which support the simultaneous testing of multiple wireless standards. Concurrency alone can cut test times by up to 50%.
- Results review. If results aren’t easy to understand, your process slows down right at the end. Plus you lose confidence in the data. Look for test systems that provide straightforward, easy-to-read results in a visual format. And the ability to customize the output of those results to your own databases for review and analysis.
- Retest rates. Retesting takes time. A lot of time. You want test systems with consistently accurate, repeatable results that you can trust. Quality is a big part of optimizing speed, because fast-but-not-accurate is a big problem for your factory efficiency—and for your brand image.
- Line reconfiguration. Downtime is costly. Whether it’s a line change to swap the DUT or a test station reconfiguration to support a new wireless standard, you want to get back up and running as quickly as possible. Test stations that are purpose-built for the wireless technologies being tested and supported by optimized test software and a vast library of wireless chipset solutions reduce reconfiguration time and minimize the manpower needed to implement these changes. So, you’re up and running in no time.